Build It: Webelos Elective Adventure

This adventure is an elective adventure which can be used to earn the Webelos and Arrow of Light Badges.

In this adventure, you have to complete the following requirements.

1. Learn about some basic tools and proper use of each tool. Learn about and understand the need for safety when you work with tools. 

At the "Craftsman" station at Day Camp we learned about safety when using tools. We also learned about different types of tools, how to use them the right way and how to be safe when using them. They camp instructors made sure we understood what was safe and how to use the tools before we got the chance to build or burn anything. (6/27/2017) I also read my webelos book and there is a lot of information about tools in there. (7/25/2017)


(7/25/2017)


2. With the guidance of your Webelos den leader, parent or guardian, select a carpentry project and build it. 

At the same station we worked on two projects. We worked on our leather for our wooden staff and we also made a boat out of wood and rubber. (6/27/2017)

Note: Since Jeremiah has not received his Whittling Chip, we were unsure whether or not he would be allowed to use a handsaw. As a result, we decided to have him complete a Build and Grow kit from Lowes. The only tool required was a hammer. (7/25/2017) 

Once Jeremiah receives approval, he would like to build a bat house for our community.

(7/25/2017)


(7/25/2017)

3. List the tools that you use safely as you build your project. Create a list of materials needed to build your project. Put a checkmark next to the tools on your list that you used for the first time.

"We needed a woodburner, metal, hammer, scissors, fishing line and scissors."(6/27/2017)
"Hammer for my coin bank"(7/25/2017)


(7/25/2017)


4. Learn about a construction career. With your Webelos den leader, parent or guardian visit a construction site and interview someone working in a construction career.

"My mom drove me to the construction site by my house. It's a new neighborhood community. I wanted to ask a heavy equipment operator my questions but I couldn't because it was listed as a "Hard Hat" area. Plus my mom wouldn't let me go over there so she took me inside. Inside the sales house I met Mr. Mike. He told me that he was filling in for the sales associate and I asked him if I could ask him some questions and he said sure. I asked him what field did he specialize in construction and he said his job is different from the guys outside he's a loan officer. I asked him what he likes about his job and he said he likes helping people. He helps families by getting into their homes and setting them up with a mortgage. His least favorite part of his job is all the paperwork. My mom said that I might have to interview another person and I can interview her friend Mrs. Sharon. She's a project manager. Mr. Michael was a nice guy and didn't mind answering all of my questions but didn't want me to go to the worksite for safety reasons." (7/25/2017) 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aware and Care: Webelos Adventure

Aquanaut: Webelos Elective Adventure

Outdoorsman: Arrow of Light Required Adventure