Earth Rocks: Webelos Elective Adventure

This adventure is an elective adventure which can be used to earn the Webelos and Arrow of Light Badges.

In this adventure, you have to complete all of the requirements.

1. Do the following:
a. Explain the meaning of the word "geology." 


Jeremiah told me what the meaning of the word on "Geology" was on (6/28/2017) after coming home from Camp Linstead. However, due to lack of evidence, we created a video and had him write a short paragraph in his summer journal addressing what Geology is and why he should study it.  (7/25/2017)

b. Explain why this type of science is an important part in your world.


(6/28/2017)

2. Look for different kinds of rocks or minerals while on a rock hunt with your family or  your den.

"At Day Camp there was a mining station for rocks. I did this with my den. Mining was really cool because we got to use a sluice and sift for different rocks. At the end of the hunt, we had the chance to use a magnifying glass and flashlights to see what types of rocks we found. They gave us a poster with all of the rocks." (6/28/2017)  



"I also went to Calvert Cliffs. You had to hike a while to get to the beach but once you finally got there you could find shark's teeth, fossils and petrified wood." (3/12/2017) 

"Finally this summer I went to the Maryland Science Center. They had a rolling cart exhibit all about the different rocks found in Maryland. This was my favorite part of the Maryland Science Center that day because it was different and I learned something that I didn't know." (7/14/2017)









3. Do the following:

a. Identify the rocks you see on your rock hunt. Use the information in your handbook to determine which types of rocks you have collected.

"At Camp Linstead, we used the poster that was given to use to identify the rocks that we found while mining." (6/28/2017)

"At the Maryland Science Center, the instructor helped me identify the different types of rocks found in Maryland. I really liked how the rocks were split up into different types of rock: Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic. I was surprised to find out that Maryland has a lot of different types of rocks." (7/14/2017)

b. With a magnifying glass, take a closer look at your collection. Determine any differences between your specimens.

"At the Geology Station, they had magnifying glass and flashlights for us to look at our rocks. We could look at them and ask instructors questions about our rocks." (6/28/2017)

"The Maryland Science Center had Magnifying glass that we had to share. She showed us different features of the rocks and helped us answer questions." (7/14/2017)

c. Share what you see with your family or den.

"When I got home from Day Camp I showed my family all of the different types of rocks that I found." (6/28/2017)




"When I was at Calvert Cliffs I showed my brother the fossils and petrified wood that I found." (3/12/2017)

4. Do the following:

a. With your family or den, make a mineral test kit and test mineral according to the Mohs scale of mineral hardness.


I looked in my Webelos Handbook to find out how to make a mineral test kit since this was not covered at Day Camp. 


Here is a picture of my kit. (7/25/2017)

b. Record the results in your handbook.

I tested the minerals using the Mohs scale and recorded my results. Here is a picture. 

(7/25/2017)

5. Identify on a map of your state some geological features in your area.

"I did this at The Maryland Science Center." (7/14/2017)

"My mom and I went on the internet and visited this site: http://www.mgs.md.gov/geology/ 
It was filled with a lot of information about what types of rock you will find in different regions of Maryland. It was very interesting." (7/20/2017)



6. Do the following:
a. Identify some of the geological building materials used in building your home.




In my home we do not have a lot of geological building material. We only have some granite. It's in our kitchen and used for the counters and table. We also have some marble in my mom and dad's bathroom. I wasn't sure if marble counts but I looked it up and marble is "metamorphic rock that forms when limestone is subjected to the heat and pressure of metamorphism."  My house is made of mostly brick, wood and siding. It has a lot of metals like: iron for nails, copper wire for electricity, zinc for sheet metal, aluminum for siding, silicon and boron for glass, and calcium for the sidewalk made out of cement. (7/21/2017)

b. Identify some of the geological materials used around your community.



"The community center has granite in their bathrooms and sandstone on the outside. The community center also has lot of metals in their building: iron for nails, copper wire for electricity, zinc for sheet metal, aluminum for siding, silicon and boron for glass, and calcium for cement on the sidewalk. Most of the homes in my community look like mine so its made of the same thing." (7/22/2017)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aware and Care: Webelos Adventure

Aquanaut: Webelos Elective Adventure

Outdoorsman: Arrow of Light Required Adventure